Saturday, November 14, 2009

So Done With Wishing You Were Still Here

You never know when you'll be gone
It could be tomorrow, or not very long

I had a friend in high school who did just this
Was there one day, but the next day was missed

I went to the viewing within minutes of the news
As I looked in at his face, the truth I refused

He was just there, not too long before
But then he was motionless, I swore

I went to the funeral before my big track meet
I walked into the church and found myself a seat

I listened to the service and then there was a lunch
I wasn't very hungry, for my stomach had been punched

On my way to Ypsi, the radio played a song
That forever will remind me of my friend John

I'm so sick of love songs, I can't hear one more
I listened, as I cried, and tried my best to ignore

I thought about his family and all his friends
I thought about his girl who met him at his end

I competed terribly at the meet that day
I don't really blame myself, I must say

But now, years later, the same song plays
And I can't help but think, I might be gone today

Rhyme inspired by John Mitchell
And NeYo "So Sick"

2 comments:

  1. It's an experience to remember things like that. I like the pun on pun on swore. I am not sure if it was intentional but the comma makes me think it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was a pun. lol i'm pretty sure i really did swear. thanks for picking that up :)

    ReplyDelete